Kane Street Synagogue Education Center & Sanctuary Building |

Kane Street Synagogue Education Center & Sanctuary Building
Brooklyn, NY

The two buildings that comprise the campus were originally constructed in 1856 as a Lutheran Church and community house.  Eventually, the congregation sold the church to one of the oldest Jewish Congregations in Brooklyn. The previously underutilized community house was converted primarily into an education center. This required a new floor level, which, due to the age of the structure, was hung from the new roof and supported by the exterior masonry walls. Completely new systems including an elevator and expansion of the rear of the building to maximize the FAR were also included

Completion: 
2004
Architect: 
Tesoro Architects
Construction Manager: 
Edson USA

More Projects in Cultural & Religious